Month: January 2018
It’s probable that I am not the ONLY gal out there who has a few pairs of ill-fitting jeggings or leggings lurking in the closet. (Seriously, WHO designs these things?) They don’t fit well, but still I keep them. Well, the moment has come to either toss or craft! I chose some thin gray jeggings and got started on a project that had been bugging me for a while.
That thin, stretchy denim had been teasing me with project potential. I finally settled on the simplest possible transformation- sew the legs of the jeggings end-to-end to create a scarf! I started by marking a straight line at the top of the pant legs and under the pockets. I cut along this line to free the legs.
Next, I turned the legs inside out and pinned the raw edges right sides together.
I stitched this up using a zig-zag stitch and a needle for heavy knits, since the fabric was stretchy.
I then trimmed the thick hems off the bottom of the pant legs. After turning the pant-legs-turned-tube of fabric right side out, I stitched the bottom of the legs closed. I left the edges raw, since I liked the frayed look.
And that was that- my scarf was stitched! I really like the denim look, although I think a thicker denim would have been too bulky. I definitely recommend using thin material for this project! I also think a slightly longer scarf would be nice, so next time I will steal jeggings from my tall sister! 😉 I did feel pretty accomplished for getting an unused piece of clothing out of the closet and onto the craft table! To celebrate, I took my scarf on a walk in the park!
We love projects that inspire us to take items from our own closets and remake them into new looks! The new year is the perfect time to do this, since we need to clean out our closets anyway. (It’s also a good time to check the thrift stores for sweaters people donate after they cleaned THEIR closet!) And speaking of sweaters…
I was inspired to try embroidery by this tutorial from the folks at Kittenhood.ro . They gave great instructions for tracing a shape and embroidering that shape onto a sweatshirt. Being the lazy person that I am, I decided to try the idea on a sweater that already had a pattern on it. That sweater also happened to be living in my closet already. Although the project took some time, the process was straightforward and turned out to be a great activity for a wintry afternoon.
I gathered my sweater, embroidery floss, large needle, and fabric stabilizer. Thanks to Kittenhood for the recommendation about the stabilizer. I purchased water-soluble stabilizer from Joann Craft store. See this link.
I slipped a thin plastic chopping board between the layers of the sweater. Next, I pinned a small piece of stabilizer over two of the stars. Next time, I would probably try using an embroidery hoop to keep the sweater and stabilizer from slipping.
Using a backstitch, I stitched around the outline of the small star. Next, I stitched around a larger star using a new color of thread. Cromwell the cat came to supervise my work.
I also stitched around two stars close to the bottom of the sweater. After stitching was complete, I experimented with removing the stabilizer. It did indeed dissolve in water, much like a rice paper candy wrapper. I wet the paper at the sink and pulled the then gooey paper off the fabric as much as possible. I washed the sweater in the washing machine to remove all residue. The stabilizer did work because the stitching and fabric lay flat even after washing and drying.
I love how the embroidery added a subtle pop of color to the sweater! It inspired me to add bright jeans and accessories instead of more basic neutrals. Perfect combo for the new year!
Happy New Year! Lindee and I celebrated by going “back in time” for a vintage fashion challenge! This time, we traveled to the 1990’s to try on pants! (Yes, I know. Those of us who experienced the 90’s first hand are internally groaning.) However, we can blame Lindee and the fates for this one. Earlier in the fall, she had mentioned that she was searching for high-waisted 90’s-style pants. I almost immediately found a pair at my local thrift store.
Previous to this, Lindee had been gifted a pair of leather pants from a fabulous family friend. (These, of course, HAD to be featured in the blog.) A month or so after that, I discovered some awesome, wide-legged gaucho jeans at a rummage sale. (The jeans didn’t fit me, but that’s why I have a little sister.) To round things off, I hunted obsessively until I found some Levi’s “flare” jeans, obviously from our featured decade. The “90’s Pants Challenge” was ON!
When the time came for our “photo shoot,” I was of the opinion that we should minimize the “90’s-ness” and try to create looks that harkened back to the 1940’s-60’s. Lindee said no, we just had to embrace the 90’s. After discovering some shocking similarities in our wardrobes, we found a middle ground.
Stripes ahoy! Although both pants fit awkwardly in the waists, due to either a lack of belt loops or non-functioning belts, we agreed the pants were super comfy. (An addition of elastic in the waistbands did the trick.) Next up- 90’s men’s wear!
This gave us a great excuse to wear our vintage vests! I also really liked my pants, since they had a high waist, wide legs, and a little stretch to the fabric. Lindee’s leather pants fit shockingly well, although she couldn’t see them becoming an everyday look for her. 😉 We are already planning more “fashion challenges” for this new year! Stay tuned, and keep crafting!